If Tableau is used as front-end for DataVirtuality Server it is necessary that Tableau knows the specifics of the SQL dialect that DataVirtuality Server uses.
As not all dialects are equal and the one from DataVirtuality Server does not belong to the default set of Tableau data sources, there are files that can be used for this purpose.
DataVirtuality Suite provides tdc files that Tableau uses in order to rewrite its statements in a manner that they will be entirely understood by DataVirtuality Server.
To use Tableau with DataVirtuality Server, you have to perform the following steps:
- Install the DataVirtuality ODBC drivers and setup a working DSN as described in the Quick Start Guide. Please note, that for use with Tableau Server the DSN should be System DSN, rather than User DSN, and should match the Tableau Server architecture (which is in most cases 64bit).
- Download the BI Frontend Configuration files from http://<yourdatavirtualityservername>:8080/
- Unpack the downloaded zip archive BI-Tools-Configuration-Files.zip and you will find *.tdc files in the tableau folder
- If you use Tableau Desktop, copy the extracted *.tdc files to:
- English version: "%HOMEPATH%\Documents\My Tableau Repository\Datasources\"
- German Version: "%HOMEPATH%\Documents\Eigenes Tableau-Repository\Datenquellen\"
- If you use Tableau Server, copy the extracted *.tdc files to:
- Version 7.0: "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\7.0\vizqlserver\local\data\"
- Version 8.0: "C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources\"
- Version 9.x: "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\[version]\bin"
- Version 10.x: "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\[version]\bin"
- Restart your Tableau Desktop application or restart Tableau Server service accordingly
- In Tableau, use "other datasources (ODBC)" (in german "andere Datenbanken ODBC")
- and choose your configured ODBC DSN