Usability Improvements DV Studio
Hello DV Team,
We would like to share a list of feature requests for DV Studio which would help to improve the efficiency of many of our typical day to day use cases.
On-Click behaviour of the SQL result
- Per default select a single field when clicking into the result set
- Allow selection of single or multiple fields or entire columns (also CTRL & SHIFT click actions)
- Add an additional first column with row number to select the entire row (to keep the as-is behaviour)
- Benefits: Make it easier to copy single values, allow copying of multiple values or whole columns
Result Cache / Pin Result Tabs
- Attach multiple result sets to a single SQL Editor tab and allow switching between those result sets
- Benefits: Less SQL tabs, more clarity, related queries stay in one tab
Additional Dependency Checks
- Add a warning when job or schedule with dependencies is going to be deleted
- When deleting a view/procedure also check job dependencies
- Rename view/procedure or column
- Move view/procedure from schema A to schema B
Improve Formatting and Auto Complete
- Allow customization of SQL formatting (i.e. keywords always upper/lower, indent size, preset for compact format)
- Auto complete sometimes has issues (not working at all or stuttering)
- If possible auto complete column names on more complex SQL queries with more then one level: select .. from (select .. from t1 )t2
What are your thoughts? Can you say if we might see some of these features in a future release?
Comment actionsOfficial comment
Hi Stefan and Neil,
thanks for your feedback, always appreciated! As you might have noticed in the release announcements, in the last few releases we published a good number of smaller Studio improvements. After solving the current compatibility issues with the latest macOS (see announcement) we plan to continue working on more Studio improvements.
Some of the points are not purely Studio-related but also require backend changes (e.g. view renaming). I have added those points which can be solved in the Studio to our backlog. The backend-related ones require some more consideration on our side.
Please be sure to follow the release announcements, you will hopefully soon be able to spot some of the reported issues there.
All of the proposed improvements in DV Studio look good to me and get my vote.
I have a couple of my own:
- After creating a view in the View Builder, it would be good if the view could be edited in the graphical View Builder rather than just in the SQL Editor
- Ability to Copy a view, without needing to edit the view and changing the "ALTER" to "CREATE" and renaming the view name
- Ability to change the default behaviour when closing a SQL editor window so you are not prompted to save the selected SQL files
I am happy to inform you that we released some of the usability improvements for Data Virtuality Studio in the latest LDW 2.4 minor releases.
- commenting in/out multiple lines of code with single-line or multi-line comments by using keyboard shortcuts or right-click menus in the SQL Editor
- row numbering in the query result table
- allow disabling "Save SQL files?" prompt when closing an SQL editor tab
Right now we are prioritizing more the implementation of our web UI rather than the development of Data Virtuality Studio and we will also take this feedback into consideration for the development of the web interface.
Please feel free to contact our Support Team for an upgrade of for any further questions.
Please sign in to leave a comment.